Vehicle Registration

To register a vehicle, visit the Service Ontario website.
For importing vehicles from the United States, visit the Transport Canada website.
Ontario Driver’s Licence
Visitors Driving in Ontario
For Driving Tests
For Ministry Approved Test Centres

Ontario Driver's Licence

Ontario Driver’s License

If you live in Ontario, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid Ontario driver's licence to drive in this province.


If you are a visitor to Ontario and want to drive while you are here, you must be at least 16 years old and have a valid driver's licence from your own province, state or country.

  • If you are from another country and visiting Ontario for more than three months, you need an International Driver's Permit from your own country.
  • If you are taking up residence, you must get an Ontario driver's licence.

For information on how and where to apply for an Ontario driver’s license or vehicle permit/ownership. Drive/Test Ontario

New Residents
  • If you are a new resident in Ontario and have a valid driver's licence from another province, state or country, you can use it for 60 days after you move to Ontario.
  • If you become a resident of Ontario, you must get an Ontario driver's licence.
  • Ontario has licence exchange agreements with every Canadian province and territory (including Canadian Forces Europe). Also with Australia, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, the Isle of Man, Japan, Northern Ireland, Korea, Switzerland and the United States.
  • If you have a licence from a country that does not have a licence exchange agreement with Ontario, you may be eligible to receive credit for your foreign driving experience. However, you are still required to pass all applicable tests to earn your Ontario driver’s licence.
Driving Tests
All driver-related tests take place at DriveTest Centres across the province.
  • Appointments are usually required for road tests.
  • All tests are available in English or French.
  • Test results are available immediately.
  • Applicants can take the knowledge and road tests as many times as they need to pass.
Vision Tests

Vision tests evaluate your visual acuity (VA) and horizontal visual field (peripheral vision). These tests take only a few minutes and involve looking into a piece of equipment at a DriveTest Centre.

Knowledge Tests

Knowledge tests are written tests that determine whether you have a good understanding of the rules of the road and traffic signs. They consist of multiple-choice questions based on the official driver’s handbooks.

Road Tests
Class G2 Road Test
  • This test assesses basic driving skills, is commonly referred to as a “city test,” and usually takes about 20 minutes.
  • If you are successful, you will be granted a Class G2 licence.
  • If you have never driven before, you will be required to gain one year of driving experience before you qualify for this test. If you take a course at an MTO-recognized driving school, your eligibility requirement may be reduced by four months.
Class G Road Test
  • This test assesses more advanced driving skills, includes a highway component, and usually takes about 30 minutes.
  • If you are successful, you will be issued a Class G licence.
  • You will be required to practice driving for at least a year after obtaining your Class G2 licence before you qualify for the Class G road test.
Test Centres
  • Arnprior
  • Barry’s Bay
  • Mattawa
  • North Bay
  • Pembroke
  • Renfrew
Driver’s Handbook - Online Types of Licence

In Ontario, there are 12 different classes of licences. Each one qualifies you to drive a different type of vehicle. The class of licence you have must match the type of vehicle you are driving. You need a Class G licence to drive a car, van or small truck. You must have a Class G licence before you can be licensed to drive any other type of vehicle. The only exception is motorcycles. You may get a motorcycle licence (Class M) without first getting a Class G licence.

Driver’s License Classification Chart - Online

Some Canadian Rules of the Road (For a complete list, see MTO Website)

  • Make sure you have your driver’s license and car insurance with you.
  • The driver is responsible for ensuring that there is no open alcohol in the car.
  • Everyone must wear a seat belt.
  • Cell phones must be used hands-free.
  • Traffic travelling in both directions, except divided roads or highways, must STOP for a yellow school bus when its red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended.
  • Freeways have a speed limit of 100 km/h (62 mph); the Trans-Canada routes 90 km/h. (56 mph). Most other rural highways and country roads have a speed limit of 80 km/h (50 mph).
  • No provinces allow motorcycles to drive between lanes of traffic.
  • You can turn RIGHT on a RED light if it is safe to do so.

  • Transportation Ontario

  • In Ottawa, there is a range of public transportation available through OC Transpo.
  • To travel across the country, you can book a bus ticket through the Greyhound Bus Line. 1-800-661-8747
  • To travel between cities, you can book a ticket from Via Rail.
  • Ottawa’s international airport is a 2-hour drive from CNL. YOW Ottawa International Airport.